Recently World Travel Guide invited me to share with their audience my top 10 bars to go out for a drink in Rio. In the same article they interviewed the Chef and Author, Leticia Schwartz, to list her Top 5 restaurants in Rio. If you are in Rio for the World Cup, you should check her favourite restaurants. You can read the whole article here.
Now I share with you here my list of favourite bars and some photos I found in my photo gallery!!
When talking about going out for drinks, Rio has a great range of options to fit all budgets. From the most simple boteco (that’s what we call very simple bars) to the more sophisticated and fancy decorated bars, you’ll easily find one that fits your style.
- Bar Urca (Rua Candido Gaffree 205, Urca) is a very traditional bar in the quiet Urca neighbourhood. The tables overlooking Guanabara Bay are the perfect spot for a cold beer and a plate of delicious bolinhos de bacalhau (codfish balls).
- Azul Marinho (Avenida Francisco Bhering, Hotel Arpoador Inn, Arpoador) is a beautiful bar in front of Arpoador Beach. This is the perfect spot to watch one of the most beautiful sunsets in Rio, as the sun falls behind Dois Irmãos Mountain. The prices are a little expensive but the stunning view makes up for it.
- Paris Bar (Praia do Flamengo 340, Flamengo) is one of my favourite choices when I’m in the mood for something a little more sophisticated. Located on the second floor of Casa Julieta de Serpa cultural centre, Paris Bar draws a hip, young crowd. Alex Mesquita, elected Rio’s best barman in 2013, has a great selection of drinks and cocktails on offer. My favourite is the Parfait Amour, a purple liqueur served in a tea cup.
- The lively mood of Shooters Cocktails Bar (Rua Nelson Mandela 100, Botafogo) makes this bar one of my favourite for drinks in the Botafogo neighbourhood. Try to go midweek, when it is not so crowded. It is definitely a great choice to hangout with friends, try different cocktails and listen to music.
- OsBar (Avenida Calógeras 18, Cinelandia) is a bar and restaurant in Cinelandia, the downtown neighbourhood close to the National Museum of Fine Arts. As in any boteco, don’t expect any sophistication in OsBar! But you can taste the coldest beer on earth and the food is great as well. On Fridays they have a delicious and typical Brazilian feijoada (a traditional beef and pork stew). It is a great choice for lunch, especially during happy hour.
- Deck Bar (Avenida Atlântica 2964, Copacabana) is a bar on the rooftop floor of Pestana Rio Atlântica Hotel. Order a beer, a caipirinha or a glass of wine, and enjoy the breathtaking view of Copacabana Beach. If you like to party, go on a Thursday, Friday or Saturday when the resident DJ takes to the decks.
- Rio Rock Blues (Rua do Riachuelo 20, Lapa) is the place to go for those who love rock music and want to have a lively experience in Lapa. A nice selection of appetizers, all kinds of drinks and good quality live rock and roll makes this a winner for those looking for a party.
- Bar D’Hotel (Avenida Delfim Moreira 696, Leblon) This trendy-chic restaurant on the second floor of Marina All Suites Hotel is great for a couple of romantic drinks or to have dinner with friends. The great variety of cocktails and the retro décor are the highlights. For a table with a beach view, it’s better to make reservations.
- Paxeco Bar (Rua Pacheco Leão 724D, Jardim Botanico) is in the heart of the Jardim Botanico neighbourhood. The bar has an open terrace where you can view the Botanical Garden’s palm trees and a great night view of Christ the Redeemer. Again, this is a place more suited to romantic, intimate drinks on a moonlit night.
- Antigamente (Rua do Ouvidor 43, Centro) is my favourite bar in the bohemian corridor of Rua do Ouvidor for its informal and pleasant atmosphere. The excellent food (try the cod fish dishes), delicious appetizers and good service makes it a great choice for lunch. Take a table on the sidewalk, drink a cold beer and taste the delicious pastel de costela (spicy meat cakes) while waiting for your mains. Perfect!